<span class="highlight">Hard</span> <span class="highlight">floor</span> or <span class="highlight">soft</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:53
ThreadID: 43942 Views:3232 Replies:14 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I am looking for a camper for 2 adults and 2 kids 5 & 3 for general use on and off road.
Is there enough room in a hard floor camper for us.

Would we be better with a soft floor and go the larger size. I dont want to spend a hour setting up and repacking especially on a short trip.
How do people find there hard floor camper with 4 people?

Cheers Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:00

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:00
Tim,

We've got a Kimberley Kamper and two kids, 10 & 8. For a quick overnight stop we find the hard floor a little cramped but 'livable'. We use 'COL' brand bunks to save on room for the kids.

When we setup for more than a night we fit the kids room onto the Kamper - heaps more room for the kids to spread out...as they do!

Whether you have enough room with your two will probably depend on what bedding arrangements you make. If your two are happy on bunks then this is a great space saving idea. We wouldn't have much room left to move if there were two 'flat' beds or lilo's on the floor for the kids.
AnswerID: 231388

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:15

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:15
Hi Tim

We have a soft floor camper that has an extended tent section, the previous owner had young kids so was ideal for their use. There is only the 2 of us so there has always been plenty of room. We can set up in about half an hour for a basic set up but the screens to the annex take about another 20 minutes, we don't always use these only when setting up for a few days. We will be putting it up for sale after Easter as we have a new Pioneer Argyle SE on order.

Regards
Rocky
AnswerID: 231391

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:24

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:24
The big differance between soft and hardfloor is room, the softfloor campers have more room, but the hard floor campers are easier and quicker to put up for overnighters, although not by much.

For extended stays they pretty much take about the same time to setup, it's not so much the erection time but the other stuff you have with you (ie) the annex, chairs, tables, food and other junk you drag along with you, lol.

It really comes down to personal choice, and how much room you need and what you want in a camper and price also, hard floor campers are much more expensive than soft floor campers, in fact most hard floor campers starting price, is as much as you would pay for soft floor camper.

Hard floor campers start at $20,000

The most you would pay for a soft floor camper would be less than $20,000

Baz.
AnswerID: 231392

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:29

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:29
There would be more room in a soft floor, and if your buying new have it made to what size you need. The soft floor is going to be cheaper also, and don't forget you can carry soft stuff,bags etc under the cover, on top of the tent, which give you more carrying space.
Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 231393

Reply By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:53

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:53
For your purpose IMO is the Camprite Camper trailer......I know the Eastern States distributer and am sure he could organise something for you though he is in Canberra but I'm sure would meet you half way for demo? Made in W.A and are very good for family.....

www.campritecampers.com.au/
AnswerID: 231399

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:18

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:18
Hi Tim,

I have recently been thru the same question for my family (2A + 2C 7,9) and ended up buying the Camprite. I reckon its the best compromise in a camper for a family. Has proper beds for all that are left made up and you can setup literally in minutes.

It's technically a "hardfloor" with all sleeping well off the ground and has plenty of room inside. I have the optional walls for the standard annexe so when desired you can have a huge amount of tent space. I have since fitted racks to the camper and carry two kayaks which do not have to be removed when setting up.

Click on my "members rig" below if you want to see some pics.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 231403

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:32

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:32
G'day Tim, we (2A & 3Kids, 8,10,12 )have a Tambo Cooper C.T ( located in Wantirna ) with a soft floor with a zip on bedroom for the kids, we put the kids mattress' on top of ours for easy storage, with all the extras we only paid 13,800. Camper takes about 5-10 minutes to set up, bedroom is another 15 minutes for longer stays. We couldn't be happier, but campers are like tyres and fridges, everyone has a different opinion.
Hope this helps,
Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 231406

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:55

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:55
Tim,

We have had a TrakShak for over 10 years now. 2 adults 3 kids they are now 18,14 & 13. Heaps of room and we can set up for an overnighter in less than 10 min. To do the full show takes about half an hour, it simply involves a few more pegs and guy ropes. For a short trip I usually only put in hte pegs that the weather determines. If there is no wind 2 pegs is enough.

Pack up takes about the same as set up. The slow part with kids is getting them out of bed and getting their bags packed.

Most campers these days tow pretty well but you need to consider that too. Ball height and weight are important.

Duncs
AnswerID: 231413

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:00

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:00
The other good thing about the Thak Shak is that you can set it up without uncoupleing it from the tow vehicle. Even set up coupled I can access the rear of the Patrol. Both doors fully open.

Check out my gallery (members rig & profile)for some pics of it set up.

Duncs
FollowupID: 492332

Follow Up By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:27

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:27
Duncs,

I can do that with the Kimberley Kamper. I could also do that with my previous soft floor Customline Camper Trailer. Didn't know there where a heap of trailer that you couldn't do that? Interesting.....
FollowupID: 492338

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:26

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:26
We have friends who have a camper which they have to unhook before they set it up. They can get by just lifting it off the coupling, leaving the chain and electrical connected but then can't open the back of their Patrol.

It was something they did not consider when purchasing the camper. Otherwise it is an excellent camper, quick set up, heaps of space and good facilities. They were pretty happy until we pulled in for an overnighter and we did not unhook.

The other problem they have had is a shock mount broke on what I thouhgt was a fairly easy trip. The trailer looked solid but this failure suggests otherwise. Mine has done heaps more work and the only thing I have broken is a brake cable.

The others that I am pretty sure have trouble if you stay coupled are the Jayco, Golf etc where the beds slide out the front and back.

Just thought it was worth mentioning in case Tim had not considered it.

Duncs
Duncs
FollowupID: 492364

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:27

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:27
We have the customline too.

Got it so we can open the rear door of the Paj., - being a side opening rear door.

Couldn't do it on some.

Got to add a stone deflector now, and trying to figure out how to do it and still open the car rear door. Think I have it figured out.
FollowupID: 492366

Follow Up By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:43

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:43
Duncs,

Cool mate, just didn't know there where some that got that close to the rear door. Mine you could still open and get to though was a tight fit getting the tummy past. I drilled another pin hole for the hitch 60mm longer on the drill press at work and that just gave that bit more space for me pie guts to get around......
FollowupID: 492371

Follow Up By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:47

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:47
Oldplodder,

Mate, sold the Customline a couple of years ago and got back what I paid for it so it didn't cost me anything and went everywhere, twice across Australia and up through the Kimberley's. Great value for money in a camper trailer and good starting point before we found what we really wanted. For us we upgraded to the Kimberley Kamper and couldn't be happier........
FollowupID: 492372

Follow Up By: Tim (vic) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:52

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:52
I had not thought of the rear doors opening while attached to the car. Very good point made and is now something else to have as a must
FollowupID: 492456

Reply By: tdv - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:46

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:46
We have an Aussie Swag hard floor. With our rugrats 5 and 3 sleeping on bunks. The bunks stay virtually set up (just remove a few posts) and fit neatly on top of our bed. Sure they take up space on the floor but are only there to sleep on. We spend most of our time outside except for sleeping. Set up time was the main sway to hard floor as well as being able to choose a camp site that didn't require huge amounts of flat space. We can be set up for an overnight stop with the stove on in well under 5 minutes. Even if we put the annex on for a longer stay it is about 10 minutes. We also have a zip on kids room but have never used it. Maybe if the weather is very wet it will come in handy?

Hire one of each and see how you go.

tez
AnswerID: 231421

Follow Up By: Rip64 - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 13:34

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 13:34
Tim,
check out trader ad just listed Heavy duty soft floor camper, excellent unit, well worth a look
FollowupID: 492350

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:02

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:02
The only major advantage I can see with a hard floor is keeping the kids off the ground in severe rain. I guess they are slightly quicker to put up as well, but wouldn't be by much. They are heavier, more expensive, and provide less room in their basic form. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 rug rats. We have a Sar Major top, 11foot (excluding king size width bed), no poles to add. Awning is permanently attached and folds over roof when not required. We have full annex, and ordered extra/larger windows all round. The main tent area is reserved for sleeping and clothing/bedding storage, and we use the annex for all other. 3 - 6x6 windows open to give an almost fly screen only feel when it is warm, or it can be completely sealed up when raining and cold, although we always have something open to let in light and air.

We did have a 14ft Cavalier prior but found it was wasted space as we lived in the annex and only used the main tent for sleeping, so I wouldn't recommend going too long. Kitchen full length of trailer pulls out, all food that doesn't fit in it are stored under neath it in tubs, we have room for chairs, tables, high chair, pram, play room, etc, all while someone is cooking at the kitchen.

I'm not recommending the Sar Major trailer, we had one custom built elswhere, but the canvas tent part is awsome.

I'm not telling you what to get but the soft floor and size we currently have suits the 4 person family perfectly at this stage. Cost $10000 new vs $20000+ new. Don't disregard the soft floor just because its cheaper. I believe the Tambo campers are also pretty good at a good price, would have considered one if we had not had Sar Major so local to us in Adelaide.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 231440

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:26

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:26
Get a Trak Shak !

10 minute setup / pack up ,, we have marine carpet inside,,and use double layer shadecloth as a ground sheet ,, and if it rains you can move the chairs inside and relax with plenty of room.
Will sleep your family comfortably. and it will go anywhere you are game enuf to travell.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 231452

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 17:13

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 17:13
10 min packup, i'd like to see that!!!!!!

Baz.
FollowupID: 492398

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 18:50

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 18:50
Redback,

Come around sometime and I will show you how it's done. 10 min is really taking it wasy.

Duncs
FollowupID: 492416

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:08

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:08
Easy as, gotta be organized, " Piece a --ss "
After popping the Trak Shak up and down for 26 days straight, on our last desert trip we got pretty good at it.
Come down to Wonthaggi ( Vic ) one day and I'll show you how, but you gotta supply the beer !

Cheers Mate
Bucky
FollowupID: 492528

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:24

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:24
Putting the camper up and down is the easy bit but putting away all the other crap is what takes the longest.

We can pack our camper in 10min maybe even less as well.

I think that most campers take about the same but like i said it's all the incidentals that take the most time, you know all the stuff that she brings, lol.

Baz.
FollowupID: 492530

Follow Up By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 08:21

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 08:21
Guy's, Not saying you can't pack away in 10 mins but it all depends on when you start the clock. By that I mean. If you start the clock when everything is still out such as Kitchen, awning etc then it would easily take more than 10min no matter the camper. If you started the clock at when the camper is ready to fold away then that would be a piece of piss.....Full pack away time and not just fold away time would be more accurate IMO......My previous Soft Floor (was great) but was far longer to pack away things like the kitchen, fill the tubs and slide into the trailer.......The canvas pack away between the Kimberley Kamper and my previous Soft Floor was nearly the same......Just my view on the 10 min pack away time.....
FollowupID: 492540

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:11

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:11
The problem here is that if you start the clock from when you get out of bed in the morning and measure to the tiem when you roll out of the site you are not measuring the Camper Trailer but the camper (those staying in the CT).

A few years ago I took the Trak Shak in to work after a weekend away. We had been forced to pach up wet and I wanted to dry the canvas. When the guys saw that it was hooked on the car they asked me about it and we had a bit of a chat about how good I thought it was. When I went out to set it up to dry they put the stop watch on me. No they didn't tell me this. I'll admit it was a pretty rough set up but it did involve 2 pegs, 2 guy ropes and 2 poles. 6 min. is what they told me and I was not hurrying. The pack up according to the same watch was 5min. The awning is an integral part of the set up and can not be removed seperately so this time includes the awning. That is testing the CT not me or my family as campers.

It generally takes us about an hour to get on the road from the time we start the process. About 45 min of that is needed to get teh 13yr old daughter out of bed. The great thing about the Trak Shak is that I can pack everything into the trailer and not have to go outside until the very last minute. This includes bags, kitchen, chairs, tables and all the other junk we litter our campsitees with.

Duncs
FollowupID: 492562

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:53

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:53
quote; It generally takes us about an hour to get on the road from the time we start the process. About 45 min of that is needed to get teh 13yr old daughter out of bed. end quote

This is funny, ours is 26yrs old and still won't get out of bed, LOL.

Baz.
FollowupID: 492573

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 07:30

Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 07:30
Hi Fellas

have to agree about the Trakshak, great for families, and if you get the room underneath you have even more room, my kids have used this room as a play room, as mentioned if raining you can put the chairs in and sit inside, we've had stacks of kids playing in ours no probs, ours tends to have an "open tent" policy when it come to kids.

As for packing it up, once you get the hang of it, and I guess this goes for all campers, it's pretty easy. I try to get organised the night before if I have anything tricky that I can do without the next morning, then as Duncs has said, it's a matter of getting the kids out, our bags go in the back of the ute, so the bags get flung out, once that is done, it doesn't take long at all. When camping at Cumberland River recently, with the threat of rain looming, we were packed in about 10-15 mins astounding all the other campers near us.

it really gets down to, what you can afford, and how long you'll use it for.

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 492729

Reply By: Brian B (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:54

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:54
G'day Tim,

Like others have said the soft floor campers are generally roomier but slower to put up and the floor is absolutely on the ground.

Hard floors IMO are quicker to set up and everyone is off the ground but they generally are not as roomy. Hard floors usually are dearer to buy.

We have just changed from a soft floor off road camper to a Goldstream Star 2 offraod camper and it suits our needs.

A number of other factors such as your budget etc will also influence your decision.

A lot of places hire them so maybe consider hiring a couple you have short listed to see what absolutely meets your needs.

Happy hunting.
AnswerID: 231537

Reply By: kiwicol - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:39

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:39
the trak shack also has 2 queen size beds so no need for buncks for kids. Col
AnswerID: 231612

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:50

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:50
If you have kids, go the soft floor..
If only two of you and you can afford it, go the hard floor..

The only time you need the extra room of a soft floor ( apart from kids ) is if its really cold or its raining !! We spend most of our time outside in a chair or beside the fire !!

But thats why there are about 50 different makers of trailers because nearly everybody has their own ideas on the subject !!
AnswerID: 231621

Sponsored Links